> Pacific Palisades
Pacific Palisades Neighborhoods include Alphabet Streets, Bienveneda,Castellemarre, Chautauqua Bluffs, El Medio Bluffs, Highlands, Altamira, Casa Gateway,Country Estates, Huntington Palisades, Huntington Woods, Marquez, Marquez Knolls, Paseo Miramar, Ridgeview Country Estates, Rivera, Rustic Canyon, Sunset Mesa/Pacific View Estates, Via Bluffs, and Will Rogers.
Pacific Palisades is a beautiful community tucked away above the beach on palisades. The Village was founded in 1922 as a residential community. It is located between Santa Monica and Malibu; more specifically, to the east is Mandeville Canyon (Brentwood) and Malibu borders its west side. The area is known as "the Palisades" to its 24,000 locals who reside in the 90272 zip code.
Due to the Village's location, the community enjoys cool ocean breezes throughout the year. In the summer, the mean temperature is 69.2 degrees and the winter mean temperature is 56.1 degrees. During the months of June through September, one does not need to fear the threat of bad weather raining on any beach days.
There are many historic sites within the area, such as Will Rogers State Historical Park, the J. Paul Getty Villa, Self Realization Lake Shrine, and Temescal Canyon Mountain Gateway Park. The Palisades community is comprised of various areas, all of which have their own personal uniqueness and appeal.
This residential area consists of streets whose names consecutively follow the A, B, C's. The Pacific Palisades Association and Methodist Church were responsible for the street names and the planning of the original properties. The majority of the lot sizes in the area are 5200 square feet; however, on the 1000 and 1100 blocks, the lot sizes are largely 6500 square feet.
This area is situated west of the Santa Ynez Canyon along the coastal slopes. Its name is a tribute to a small Italian port near Naples; Castellemarre means "Castle by the sea."
In 1925, the Frank Meline Company began to develop the area that was to be called Castellemarre. By 1927, the foundations for 12 future homes had been poured. Meline expressed specific requirements in regards to architecture and style for the homes in Castellemarre. It was required that the homes be constructed in the style of the Italian Renaissance tradition.
The first home that was built, known as Villa Leon, exemplifies this tradition. Leon Kauffman and his wife purchased the Castle Rock Plot which was a plot intended to house six homes; the Kauffmans decided to build one home of gigantic proportions and of equal extravagance. Villa Leon is so large that it is easily seen from the coastline along PCH.
As a result of their desires, Villa Leon, is a 35-room home complete with frescoed ceilings, a circular staircase, and an elaborate Chinese garden along with other splendid gardens. The Kauffmans only occupied Villa Leon for seven years, from 1928-1935; Ms. Kauffman died in 1933 and Mr. Kauffman died shortly after in 1935.
"The Highlands" is Pacific Palisades' newest large-scale residential development. The area resembles that of an island of homes atop the upper Santa Ynez Canyon. "The Summit" is one phase of the Palisades Highlands that is located at the development's highest point, hence the name the Summit. It is comprised of 315 single family residences which are further broken down into 4 gated mini-communities. These communities include:
Some of these homes have been featured in architectural magazines and other real estate publications as examples of quintessential custom-built homes. Not all homes have been custom built; some are part of planned communities that have plans featuring four or five bedrooms. Amenities include tennis courts, a clubhouse, and other recreational facilities. The Palisades Highlands residents are blessed with the beautiful views of the parklands and ocean and are also able to utilize the hiking trails that exist along the Santa Ynez Canyon.
The Summit Club ( 310-573-1951 ) consists of many amenities all of its own:
Headland Properties, the developers for this area, chose Spanish names as labels for the community. Some street names are:
Source:Pacific Palisades by Young
The Country Estates is the first development to be built in the Highlands. The homes were built between 1977 and 1983 and the lots are some of the largest in the area; they are large enough to contain private tennis courts.
Two hundred and twenty six acres of land, belonging to the heirs of Collis Huntington, went up for sale in the 1920's. On February 6, 1926, the Palisades Association purchased the land for $1,625,000. The Catholic Church had at one point considered the Huntington property as a potential site for a college. Instead, the Church established their college in Brentwood, what is now known as Mount St. Mary's College. As a result, the Association decided that the Huntington Palisades would be an exclusive development for a particular type of clientele.
The developer, W.W. Williams, was in charge of construction and engineering and Mark Daniels was responsible for the landscaping and beautification phase of the community. The area was made to include broad streets, underground utilities, and decorative light fixtures.
Marquez Elementary School is located on the West portion of Pacific Palisades; it opened its doors in the latter part of 1955.
The Santa Monica Mountain Park Company and the Santa Monica Land and Water Company sold 22,000 acres of prime land to Alphonzo Bell in 1923. Bell was the lucky owner of incomparable mountain property that stretched from the ocean to Bel-Air and also included the majority of the land surrounding the Pacific Palisades community.
Bell had a heavy influence on the property, the street names were picked from memories of the family's travels to Spain, France, and Italy. The majority of the names are Italian, particularly, in tribute to the Amalfi Coast which is south of Naples. Just like this coast, Pacific Palisades is a community where "the mountains meet the sea" so it is no wonder that Bell felt inspired to name the streets after such a magnificent area.
In 1927 and 1928, a large polo facility was developed in Pacific Palisades that soon became one of the stops on the international polo circuit. In effect, the polo facility enticed the likes of Jack Holt, Hal Roach, and Will Rogers to spend much of their time in the Palisades.
Will Rogers owned acreage in Rustic Canyon which he used as a weekend getaway home while his primary residence was located in Beverly Hills. However, as time passed Will purchased 224 acres of land and announced, in 1926, that the ranch would be his permanent home. On the property, Will had a polo field, barn, and 9-hole golf course built.
After Will's death in 1935, his wife, Betty, began donating acres of land in hopes of building a park along with many other plans; however, none of the plans were ever carried out. Betty died in 1944; which happened to be the same week that the State agreed to make the original 242 acres and ranch house a memorial site for Will Rogers. Thus, the ranch was dubbed Will Rogers State Historical Park complete with guides and rangers. Today, polo matches are still held on the playing fields on the weekends during the summer.
Resources & Links: