Brentwood neighborhoods include Brentwood Circle, Brentwood Country Estates, Brentwood Flats, Brentwood Glen, Brentwood Hills, Brentwood Park, Bundy Canyon, Kenter Canyon, Mandeville Canyon Association, Mountaingate, South Brentwood, and Upper Mandeville Canyon Association.
Brentwood is home to many stars and political figures. The area is bounded by I-405 on the east, Wilshire Boulevard to the south, Mandeville Canyon on the west, and Mulholland Drive to the north. For most of the 1990s, America knew the city of Brentwood because of the Simpson and Goldman murders. Now, it has become the center for political leaders and business leaders.
The northern part of Brentwood is comprised of only single-family residences. The residents here are mostly wealthy families and business executives. The median single-family resale value is $1.2 million. In the southern portion, which is south of Sunset, there are a combination of single-family residences and apartments. In the area south of San Vicente Blvd, the housing is primarily apartment homes, where residents are young singles.
Many residents spend an average of 24 minutes driving to work each day. If one is lucky, he/she works in the business district located on San Vicente Boulevard and Barrington Avenue. San Vicente Boulevard is not only home to many small businesses but boutiques and restaurants as well.
Located north of Sunset Boulevard and south of the Getty Museum, Brentwood Circle is a guard-gated community of 67 beautiful homes. This prestigious neighborhood has easy access to the 405 freeway and is within walking distance to Brentwood Village. The village is a cozy shopping area featuring fine restaurants, offices, parks, and of course shops.
Brentwood Country Estates is another 24 hour gated community within Brentwood. This exclusive community owned by the Hilton family, yes that Hilton family, ensures strong financial stability. The Brentwood Country Estates are located in the Santa Monica Mountains, just north of Sunset Boulevard and a short distance from Brentwood’s fine dining and shops.
This development provides a unique combination of country, city, mountains, and ocean, all in one. The development is a two hundred and fifty acre spread in which there are only fourteen estate sites. This ensures seclusion and privacy for those who desire such a lifestyle. Each estate site averages 3.85 acres, with flat building pads that range in size from 30,000 square feet to over two acres.
This area is within walking distance of the Center of Brentwood. There are many cul-de-sacs and side streets within the area. The prices of these homes range from $1,500,000 and up.
The area now known as Brentwood Glen was purchased by the Ratteree Brothers in the early 1920’s. These four brothers, Judge Earnest, Dr. Ira James, and Allan Ratteree came from the south to reside in Los Angeles. The land was, when first purchased, a walnut grove and the brothers divided the grove into five different parcels and named it the Ratteree Tract. The brothers proceeded to file for subdivision of the Ratteree Tract in the mid 1920s. The Ratterees chose all the names of the streets within Brentwood Glen, in which these names still remain today.
In 1927 the streets and sidewalks were poured and in 1932 the first house was built at 11344 Albata St. Most of the homes were constructed between 1935 and 1942. The city of Los Angeles constructed three overpasses in 1954 of the 405 freeway and six years later, the freeway was complete all the way to the Sepulveda Pass.
In 1969, the Homeowners Association was formed and the residents made the decision to change the neighborhood’s name from Ratteree Tract to Brentwood Glen. The community is home to 560 residences where one can find single-family homes, multiple-unit apartment organizations, duplexes, and triplexes.
The following, lists the active organizations in Brentwood Glen:
Brentwood Hills (Web site)
This community is situated with the Santa Monica Mountains to the north, Mandeville Canyon to the east and Sullivan Canyon to the south and west. Brentwood Hills is located within the Brentwood neighborhood and can be distinguished from other areas due to its hilliness. Memberships in Brentwood Hills Homeowners Association are reserved for but open to residents of Brentwood Hills.
Brentwood Park (Web site)
The Park is a desirable community to dwell in because it is perceived as a wooded refuge, a place to get away from the bustling city. This unique style of living has been preserved by the Brentwood Park Property Owners' Association (BPPOA) that was founded in 1915. The BPPOA is committed to preserving the park-like environment of the neighborhood and maintaining the safety of the families of Brentwood Park. The BPPOA makes it their responsibility to facilitate neighborly relationships by planning various community events.
An ad in the Los Angeles Times on April 19, 1907 describing the recently developed community began like this, "To live in Brentwood Park means to have the conveniences of city life brought to the doors of your country estate .... Mail and fresh eggs are brought to your home twice each day. Garbage is removed three times a week. Streetlights twinkle at night. There is a kindergarten in the Park and an autobus takes children to and from grammar school and Sunday school."
Governor Juan B. Alvarado had given a grant (over 30,000 acres of land) to the Sepulveda family in 1839. The Sepulveda heirs sold their holdings 33 years later for less than 2 dollars an acre. After the transaction the property changed hands many times. Finally, the property that came to be known as Brentwood Park was purchased by the Western Pacific Development Company who then developed the subdivision in 1906.
This residential community was one of the first subdivisions to be established on San Vicente Boulevard. The developers were insistent on creating a woodsy atmosphere; they had guidelines to ensure a pastoral and natural setting. Unlike city streets, cement sidewalks and curbs were avoided altogether and the wide streets were windy due to the natural contours of the land.
At the time of Brentwood Park's development, modes of transportation were still works in progress. The Los Angeles-Pacific Railroad built the Westgate Line of Red Car service in 1906. This electric trolley transported people from San Vicente Boulevard to Ocean Avenue and then south to the Santa Monica Main Line. The convenience of the trolley appealed to people tremendously; in effect, lot sales throughout the area boomed.
The Western Pacific developers developed many restrictions as a way to maintain the Park as a quality neighborhood. Those restrictions are still in effect today, they include the prohibition of the distillation and sale of alcohol; the development of more than one residence per lot; the posting of billboards and the erection of oil wells; and businesses of any kind. Restrictions regarding race, color and creed, were ruled unenforceable by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1948.
Some of the specific regulations were as follows: Most lots had a minimum frontage requirement of one hundred feet and it was required that the houses be set back fifty to one hundred feet from the property line. All houses were to be placed no less than fifteen feet from the side property line and for corner lots, the minimum was twenty-five feet from the side street. Because of these restrictions, the Park has been saved over the years from being downsized into smaller parcels.
Soon after its ideal start, Brentwood Park faced many threats. Western Pacific faced a financial panic in 1907 which caused them to stop its development process. In 1909, the company sold a large amount of its stock to Dr. Herman Janss who was of the Braly-Janss Company.
The next major event happened in 1916 when the residents of Brentwood Park voted to be annexed by the City of Los Angeles in order to obtain municipal services. The city had many conditions for annexation, but one in particular was that it take charge of the streets, ovals, and circles. Ten years later when Los Angeles had installed storm drains and sewers and paved and curbed the streets, it exercised its rights as "steward of the islands" and removed all but eight of the existing ones (leaving four ovals and four circles.) In removing the islands, it straightened the curving roadways leaving most of Brentwood Park's roadways straight. Until 1989, seven traffic islands remained when an eighth one was added. Cleminshaw Circle, at the junction of Rockingham, Avondale and Marlboro, was planned and built through a cooperative effort of the city, the Brentwood Park Property Owners' Association and generous neighbors.
Most of the street names in the Park were duplicates of street names in Los Angeles which needed to be changed in order to avoid confusion. Below is the list of the streets as they are today with their original counterparts:
Only one-fourth of the property in Brentwood Park had been purchased at the time of annexation in 1916. It wasn't until 1922 when Shipley, Harrell, and Trapp bought the remaining property and set out on a huge sales campaign. Initially, sales multiplied but soon died down. The men decided to offer half lots (fifty feet wide) which were against the regulations. One of the property owners sued the business men for failing to adhere to the frontage requirements and he won.
The Brentwood Park Property Owners' Association was finalized on August 4th, 1942 as a direct response to the increasing threats that Brentwood Park faced. Due to persistence and passion, a zoning change was made by the Los Angeles City Council, which prohibited the division of any lot into less than 20,000 square feet.
Even though there were distinct restrictions against businesses in Brentwood Park, many enterprises flourished during the early years. Land in the northern part was leased to growers of hay and barley and there was a plant nursery at Bristol and Parkyns. Those who grew up in the Park around 1915 to 1950 have memories of a much simpler life. Exploration was abundant throughout the undeveloped areas and many people used horses as their mode of transportation where they would often camp out near Mulholland Drive.
The properties on South Rockingham served as convenient spots for viewing the polo matches. In 1932, when the Olympics were held in the canyon, people could watch the equestrian events from the Rockingham gardens. As late as the 1970s people would ride their horses from stables in Mandeville and Sullivan Canyons, down Rockingham and Avondale Avenues, to buy ice cream on San Vicente.
From the beginning, Brentwood Park was seen as a refuge from the hectic life in the city. The preservation of this park-like residential neighborhood will undoubtedly stand the test of time, seeing as it already has endured so much.
This is a quaint and charming area that offers homes with views. Some are newer estates and some are old classic homes.
Large lots with steep hillsides make this Canyon area picturesque. One of Brentwood's best elementary schools is located in this north of Sunset community
Mandeville Canyon Association (Web site)
Mandeville Canyon is famous for its large lot sizes and beautiful equestrian area. This neighborhood may not appeal to everyone's taste because of the lack of street parking and the commute (depending on where one lives on Mandeville) can be lengthy. There is only one way in and one way out of Mandeville Canyon because it is a cul-de-sac.
The word "Mandeville" was not this area's original name. Originally, it was called Casa Viejo Canon. A map from 1881 illustrates the canyon with the aforementioned name and the words Casa Viejo Creek running down the middle of the canyon. According to records, the creek contained water year round and was kept full by springs from the upper canyon. Why the name changed from Casa Viejo Canon to Mandeville is still a mystery, the first appearance of the name Mandeville Canon was in the early 1900s.
A Spanish land grant made by the Governor of the Californias, Juan Alvarado, gave 48,000 acres called Rancho San Vicente y Santa Monica (the area generally between the ocean and Sepulveda Blvd) to Francisco Sepulveda in 1839. The land later passed through the hands of Robert S. Baker, who later founded Bakersfield, and sold the land to Robert C. Gillis (The Santa Monica Land Company). Gillis later formed a subsidiary company, the Santa Monica Mountain Park Company, in 1917.
In 1920, that land was valued at $65,000 for 260 acres. In 1926, Gillis sold most of the canyon to the Garden Land Company, which planted a large botanical garden, in hopes of increasing sales of the subdivided land. In spite of the efforts, development was a slow process.
The "block" nearest Sunset Boulevard went to the Los Angeles Athletic Club. The northern part of the club's property, called the Flats, was devoted to the equestrian sports; it had three championship polo fields, stabling, grandstands and an arena for horse shows.
In the 1940s, Mandeville was beginning to be a real neighborhood. The addition of new members called a need for the Mandeville Canyon Association which was formally incorporated in 1945. This association attained the rights to deed restrictions from the Garden Land Company, and dealt with other issues such as flood control and traffic safety.
In 1957 and 1958, the first ample-sized tract in Mandeville featured 300 homes, all developed by the Garden Land Company. Other developments, such as Westridge and Westridge Terrace, were developed in the late 1950s.
Linkletter-Schwartz began developing several hundred more properties in the late 1960s. He had planned to construct 3,400 more properties all the way up to Mulholland Drive, but after considering the traffic on the canyon and the cost of utilities, the plan came to a halt.
Mandeville is the longest cul-de-sac in Los Angeles, for this reason, Mandeville has remained a safe place and maintained its rural-like environment.
One can catch a glimpse of this mountaintop community when passing through Sepulveda Pass on the 405 freeway. Mountaingate is a gated community sitting atop the Santa Monica Mountains overlooking all of Los Angeles. It has become an ideal residence due to its location, weather, and views. In 1970, the Country Club and golf course was the first phase of development on a sanitary landfill. Condominiums were the first homes built in Mountaingate in 1979, but rest assured, no homes in the community are placed on the landfill.
The Mountaingate Country Club is a private club featuring two gorgeous golf courses which are considered to be the one of the top golf challenges in Los Angeles. The two golf courses are set up as- the Lake-North course, which is a par 70, and the North-South course, which is a par 71. The Club provides typical amenities such as a spa, locker rooms, tennis courts, restaurant, snack shop, and pro shop. Although the Mountaingate CC is located within the development, it is not part of the residential community.
Driving down Mountaingate Drive, one may be leaving the bright and sunny neighborhood and entering into low-lying fog, due to the altitude of Mountaingate. For the nature-loving individual, Mountaingate's mountainous environment and amazing views are sure to appeal to the senses. It is located in the "heart of the Santa Monica Mountains" with biking and hiking trails nearby that lead to some of this areas native wild life.
There are four communities within one at Mountaingate. The total number of residences is 307, where 187 are single-family residences and 130 are a mix of condominiums and town homes. The single-family residences are located on Canyonback, Promontory, and Stoney Hill and four homes sit on Mountain Crest Lane. The areas known as, The Vista, The Terrace, and The Ridge are the three townhouse communities located in Mountaingate. Each community has a 24-hour guard-gated entrance and guards patrol the areas all day and all night for added security. Although the streets are maintained by the City of Los Angeles, they are used by private homeowners solely.
Each community features a community pool, while only some have particular amenities such as tennis courts, a park, or recreation room. Only a half hour away from the Valley and downtown Los Angeles, Mountaingate's location is what appeals to most. Being high up in the mountains, one feels that they are away from it all and yet just minutes away from the fine shopping and restaurants of the Valley and Westside.
The area's homeowners association is one of the largest in Brentwood. The South Brentwood Homeowners Association's boundaries are San Vicente and Montana Avenue on the north, Santa Monica on the west, Wilshire Blvd to the south, and Federal on the east. SBHA does not represent homeowners only it also takes into account concerns on behalf of renters. The public is invited to the SBHA meetings where annual dues are $35 and $20 for senior citizens.
Upper Mandeville Canyon Association (Web site)
The property owners' association for Upper Mandeville Canyon is called Upper Mandeville Canyon Association, which represents at least 276 homes in the area. This association is an all-volunteer group of people who strive to maintain the quality of life in the Canyon and to keep neighbors well-informed on their community. The aforementioned website states, "The Upper Mandeville Canyon Association was incorporated in 1957. The aim of the membership then, and now, is to protect and enhance homeowner's investment in this beautiful area. There were great stretches of undeveloped property along the roadside. Streams and waterfalls flowed yearlong. Lupin and wild morning glory covered the hills and the flatlands. Deer, mountain lions, bobcats, coyotes, skunks, rabbits and rattlesnakes still owned most of the territory. The road was only paved as far as the 3400 block."
As stated previously, Mandeville Canyon has an interesting history, where it was first known as a small portion of the Rancho San Vicente y Santa Monica land grant. Most of Lower Mandeville was sold to Garden Foundation in 1926; the area of Lower Mandeville encompassed roughly from Mandeville Lane to Chalon Road. The Garden Foundation wanted to establish a botanical garden in hopes of appealing to residential buyers. Exotic plants and commemorative plaques from celebrities can still be seen in the community today. There is a Japanese style home at 1888 Mandeville Canyon Road that is surrounded by one of the two ponds constructed in Mandeville, the other pond is at 1900 Mandeville Canyon Road.
With the onset of the Depression, the development of the botanical garden declined and by 1935, it was no longer in progress. The bondholders of the Garden Foundation re-established themselves as the stockholders for the new Garden Land Company. In 1938, intense storms and flooding destructed Lower Mandeville so immensely that the Garden Land Company remained ineffective for 16 years. In 1954 the company finally resumed development.
In the area that is now Garden Land Road, the first annual picnic was held in 1957. This picnic is still held annually and gives neighbors a chance to get to know one another. The first annual cocktail party was held in the early 60s, where residents vacate their homes and chefs provide gourmet food. A party auction was held and new residents were able to meet their fellow neighbors. The UMCA provides members with a monthly newsletter, flood and crime control, community assistance, and a telephone directory.
Resources & Links: